Re: question on support processor Intel Atom Z3735F

From: Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 12:47:09 -0600 (MDT)
On Fri, 25 Mar 2016, Lundberg, Johannes wrote:

> One problem is that most of these devices have only 32 bit UEFI which
> FreeBSD does not support (except Intel Compute Stick which has 64 bit UEFI).

The MinnowBoard has both 32-bit and 64-bit UEFI.  My Turbot came with
64-bit UEFI, and the FreeBSD amd64 UEFI install image works fine with
it.  This is an Atom E3826 board.

> I use special built Grub to boot a 64 bit Arch Linux on this chip, maybe
> same approach could be used to boot a 64 bit FreeBSD. However, you probably
> won't be able to use the internal eMMC (if your device got it) since the
> controller can not initiate mmc memory correctly. Work in progress here
> though by me and Ilya.
>
> On a side note,
> it would though be nice to have 32 bit UEFI support on FreeBSD because that
> would include support for Intel IoT boards like Galileo etc which are all
> 32 bit. Might be a lot of work though..

If any existing 32-bit Linux UEFI loader could be made to work with
FreeBSD (possibly chainloading?), that would be better than nothing.  I
would like to have the opposite method also, having a 64-bit UEFI boot a
32-bit FreeBSD.  (Why?  So my run-on-anything 32-bit FreeBSD image could
still work on any UEFI system.)