Re: r298143: something wrong with autofs?

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 14:08:15 +0200
Am Wed, 4 May 2016 20:41:51 +0200
Edward Tomasz Napiera?a <trasz_at_FreeBSD.org> schrieb:

> On 0503T1849, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Am Sun, 17 Apr 2016 12:39:44 +0200
> > Edward Tomasz NapieraƂa <trasz_at_FreeBSD.org> schrieb:

> > > "Bound"?
> >
> > ... means: the cleint does not mount/bind the NFS exported filesystem anymore.
>
> Ok.

> > > Could you describe in more detail what are you seeing?  Also, the usual autofs
> > > debugging technique ("pkill automountd && while :; do automountd -d; done") might
> > > sched some light.
> >
> > Well, I see nothing! That is my problem. I setup several NFSv4 exported filesystems
> > which were mounted on demand via autofs - that workd. Since I do not use/need those
> > filesystems on a dailt basis, I realized too late that in the meanwhile those
> > filesystems are not present on the client (autofs) anymore. I'm not aware of having
> > changed anything in the configuration and I didn't receive any heads-ups that
> > essential changes had been made.
>
> Hm, it certainly seems weird.  Are the autofs instances mounted where
> there should be?  Could you send me your /etc/auto_master, the maps,
> and dmesg output?  Thanks!

Hello Edward,

sorry for the late answer. I can not (I'm not allowed!) offer config data from any of the
lab's/bureaus computers, so I decided to check again the whole config, since several
boxes do as expected and others not (which is the weird part). I found a simple culprit:
somewhere in the near past, /etc/auto_master received an update and I simply have
overwritten the old one with the new one. So the autofs system never checked the exported
filessystem's list given by a mandatory /etc/auto_ext file and in the logical consequence,
no filesystem defined there was mounted.

After simply adding the missing line the mounting of the expected filesystems worked
again.

Kind regards,
Oliver