Re: HEADS-UP: installworld on r299292 through r299317 will replace master.passwd, passwd, and group files

From: Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 14:38:36 +0800

> On Tue, May 10, 2016 at 08:25:22AM +0200, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > On 10 May 2016 at 08:18, O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
> wrote:
> >
> > > I haven't figured out so far how far this goes. Lucky for those having
> > > recent /etc/ backups. A pity FreeBSD doens't backup this by default.
> >
> > After having shot myself in the foot some time ago, "zfs snapshot" has
> > become a part of my standard upgrade procedures :-)
> >

> No argument that this is valuable, but we cannot rely on filesystem
> specific solutions.  Similar topic came up a few days ago following
> lunch.  It got me thinking of a better way to ensure this kind of thing
> does not require home-grown foot protection from cannons.
>
> It should be fairly trivial to automatically backup /etc (and related)
> when 'distribution' is run, either intentionally or accidentally (or by
> commit mistakes, such as this).
>
> Glen

As an idea, when we run make installworld before it replaces the files, it
could make a backup of those files that will be replaced to
/var/backups/etc${DATE}/ .

Best,

Marcelo Araujo            (__)araujo_at_FreeBSD.org
\\\'',)http://www.FreeBSD.org <http://www.freebsd.org/>   \/  \ ^
Power To Server.         .\. /_)