Re: UEFI dual boot zfs root

From: Ben Woods <woodsb02_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 19:31:12 +0200
On Tuesday, 17 May 2016, Warren Block <wblock_at_wonkity.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 May 2016, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
>
> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to install current on my lenovo x1 yoga ( and keeping it dual
>> boot for now).
>>
>> I have a fair amount of disk free after resizing. I can't seem to workout
>> how to do the partitioning. Do I only need the freebsd-zfs partition (
>> assuming no/zvol-swap?
>>

> I would think, but have not tested ZFS with UEFI.
>
> Do I manually copy boot1.efi to the existing EFI partition?
>>

> Yes.  Mount the EFI partition with msdosfs, then copy boot1.efi to
> /EFI/BOOT/.  Then comes the tricky part, getting the UEFI firmware to add
> that as a boot option.  In a Dell UEFI system, it could be added to the
> boot options, and the firmware has the user select the file from the EFI
> partition for that option.

Indeed, just 4 days ago I installed a recent snapshot of FreeBSD 11
current, with root on ZFS and UEFI.

I had to do 2 steps manually, as they were not supported by the installer
as an auto option:

1. The auto root on ZFS settings don't let you use a partition or spare
space... You must give it a full disk. But because I was dual booting
Windows I chose manual partitioning, dropped to a shell and setup the zpool
and zfs datasets manually, with altroot=/mnt. Rather than follow one of the
outdated wiki manuals, I used them as a general guide, but read the
bsdinstall auto shell script to set it up with the same datasets and
properties.

2. After the install had completed, I had to mount my efi partition as
msdosfs and copy the boot1.efi to it. For me, I have installed the rEFInd
boot loader, so I just copy the file into /EFI/Boot/ and it shows up in the
menu upon boot.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

The FreeBSD EFI loading of a ZFS file system works great!

Cheers,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02_at_gmail.com