Re: CURRENT: ipfw: problems with timeouts and worse network performance

From: Vladimir Zakharov <zakharov.vv_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 17:31:24 +0300
On Fri, May 20, 2016, Jan Bramkamp wrote:
> On 20/05/16 15:51, Vladimir Zakharov wrote:

> >> By default the OpenSSH SSH client is configured to use TCP keepalives.
> >> Those should produce enough packets at a short enough interval to keep
> >> the dynamic IPFW state established.
> >>
> >> Does your traffic pass through libalias?
> > I guess not. How can I be sure?
>
> Libalias is used by ipfw and the old userland natd to implement IPv4
> NAT. It requires unmodified access to all packets including their
> headers. LRO and TSO coalesce packets to reduce save CPU time but the
> process is loses some of the information required by libalias. Unless
> your ruleset uses ipfw in-kernel NAT or diverts traffic to natd you
> don't have to worry about libalias.
>
> Use `kldstat -v | grep libalias` to check for libalias in the running
> kernel and `pgrep natd` to search for running natd instances.

Surely, I do not use NAT (and libalias):

root_at_vzakharov:~ # kldstat -v | grep libalias
root_at_vzakharov:~ # pgrep natd

I use GENERIC-NODEBUG kernel (r300138) with ipfw module. And
'workstation' firewall type.

--
Regards,                 | "In theory there is no difference between theory
  Vladimir Zakharov      | and practice. In practice there is."- Yogi Berra