Re: Recognizing SMR HDDs

From: Igor Mozolevsky <igor_at_hybrid-lab.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 15:02:24 +0100
On 26 May 2016 at 14:41, Kenneth D. Merry <ken_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 15:29:21 +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 May 2016 08:34:45 -0400
> > "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken_at_FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> >
> > > On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 08:42:53 +0200, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> > > What kind of drive is it?
> > >

> > ST8000AS 0002-1NA17Z 0X03

[snip]

> Yes.  There is something slightly odd about the Inquiry data you pasted
> above.  Seagate didn't set the bits in the ATA identify data to mark it as
> a Drive Managed drive, so I put in a quirk entry to mark it as Drive
> Managed.
>
> Unfortunately with Drive Managed drives that is really all you know.  You
> don't know the zone boundaries or states.  But, it is useful to know that
> you really should write sequentially for good performance.  (True of any
> drive, but especially true with SMR drives.)

The drive is supposed to have Word 69 set to 0x0001 and support ZAC MGMT
IN/OUT -
http://www.seagate.com/www-content/product-content/hdd-fam/seagate-archive-hdd/en-us/docs/100795782a.pdf
at pg. 24 and 28.

Incidentally AR17 firmware is a new batch, perhaps Seagate did what they
did with -DL003 drives where the early models reported 512n sector size (so
as not to confuse computers) and the later models properly reported 4kn
sector size?

--
Igor M.