Re: svn commit: r297435 - head: still problems for stage 3 when gcc 4.2.1 is avoided (powerpc64 self-hosted build)

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2016 20:55:56 -0700
On 28 May 2016 at 14:30, Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net> wrote:
> On 2016-May-28, at 12:03 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian.chadd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>> hi,
>>
>> please don't patch the ports compiler assumptions about things like
>> this. We should be targeting external toolchains on OSes (eg macosx)
>> where it may already generate freebsd binaries and as such we should
>> be calling the compiler/linker with all the flags it needs.
>>
>> Having a patched compiler default for mips made things way, way harder
>> than it needed to be.
>>

>> -adrian
>
> Are there specific technical examples of specific lessons learned from the "patched compiler default for mips" context?
>
> Is there an intent to use /usr/src/. . . materials for buildworld/buildkernel and the like from a non-FreeBSD context? Are there examples?

Well, I'd like to be able to build it from non-freebsd environment.
Eg, eventually from the macosx shipped clang/llvm, or various other
external toolchains. Doubly so for whatever commercial / internal /
bring-up compilers that are used during platform bringup.

The hurt is that our Makefile stuff is still a bit messy. On the plus
side, Brian, Warner in particular have done a great job undoing all of
that and making things cleaner, so big props to them!

-adrian