Re: r 300949: rpcbind rejects to start: couldn't create ip6 socket

From: O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 20:29:24 +0200
Am Sun, 29 May 2016 03:00:56 -0700
"Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya)" <yaneurabeya_at_gmail.com> schrieb:

> > On May 29, 2016, at 00:32, O. Hartmann <ohartman_at_zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> >
> > After updating sources and build- and installworld, I realize that all rpcbind related
> > services, so far NFS, are not working. On a client I check the start of rpcbind by
> > setting option -d and receive the output shown below.
> >
> > Well, prior to r300949 rpcbind started without complains - as it did with r300901.
> >
> > [...]
> > rpcbind not running?
> > Starting rpcbind.
> > rpcbind debugging enabled.
> > can't get local ip6 address: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
> > couldn't create ip6 socket/etc/rc.d/rpcbind: WARNING: failed to start rpcbind
>
> Hi,
> 	Could you please try this patch with -d (it’ll continue on instead of exiting…
> I’m curious as to why it was failing before). Does IPv6 work in your environment?
> Thanks!
> -Ngie

Well, funny is: staring rpcbind with options "-h 192.168.xxx.xxx -l -s -W" does not make
the rpcbind trying to create an IPv6 socket - which it fails due to absence of IPv6 in
kernel, but only "-h 192.168.xxx.xxx" does!

I can reproduce this weird behaviour on several CURRENT systems on which IPv6 is disabled
by default.