Re: r300951 make buildworld duration 18h

From: Matthew Macy <mmacy_at_nextbsd.org>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2016 21:31:40 -0700
 ---- On Mon, 30 May 2016 07:37:26 -0700 Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de> wrote ----

 > Hello,
 >
 > Yesterday I pulled via svn co ... a fresh r300951 and started the buildworld as
 >
 > # make -j2 buildworld
 >
 > it ended today at lunchtime after 18 hours. The laptop has 2x Intel Atom 1.6GHz
 > and 1 GByte RAM and was otherwise unused. Is this the normal buildworld time of
 > today? I think it spent most of the time in building the llvm...

I never build on any of my laptops. I have a 8-thread VM running FreeBSD on a new-ish 6-core Broadwell. It builds world in 35-45 minutes and a new kernel in ~3-5 minutes. I mount it over NFS and install to the laptops when I want to update. Obviously if you only have this Atom based machine then that's not a luxury you have. If that's the case I'd install llvm/clang from ports and skip both clangs from the build. I'd guess it's probably 70+% of the buildworld time  on my system and possibly > 80% on yours due to the large C++ memory usage.
-M