Re: urtwm -> rtwm

From: Daniel Braniss <danny_at_cs.huji.ac.il>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2016 16:30:39 +0200
> On 2 Nov 2016, at 15:54, Mattia Rossi <mattia.rossi.mailinglists_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> rtwn_usb(4) depends on rtwn(4) module; you can try to
>>> 1) add them to the kernel config;
>>> 2) check / fix WITHOUT_MODULES and MODULES_OVERRIDE make.conf(5) variables
>>> 3) compile / install them manually
>>>
>>> P.S. There is no 'rtwm' module in the tree; what is the exact error message
>>> where it was?
>> the problem was that if_rtwn.ko was not compiled!
>> all the others where, i.e. if_rtwn_[pci,usb].ko.
>> I added all of them to the config, and now it seems to work
>>
>> so the problem is that the loadable module if_rtwn.ko is NOT compiled
>> by default, while all the others are,
>> what is the magic to have it compiled?
> From my experience you always have to specify all modules and the modules they depend on. I for example had to specify this for zfs support in the config file:
>
> makeoptions     MODULES_OVERRIDE="zfs opensolaris acl_nfs4"
>
> I actually only wanted zfs, which depends on opensolaris which then again depends on acl_nfs4 (probably because I sepcified nfs4 support in the config file)

not from my experience, the fact that all the other rtwn- where there means that
somewhere there is a missing directive.

> I only found out after a few tries. It's really not ideal, that module dependencies are not resolved.
> But once you know about it, you can live with it :-)
>

>> BTW, I tried this on RPI2, and now will try on an orangepi one.
> Is that the SDIO based internal WiFi? Let me know if it works!

no, this is the cheapest orange one, with one usb, so it’s a wifi dongle.
my orange pi plus, with the onboard wifi, i managed to fry :-(

cheers,
	danny