Re: Use of env SRC_ENV_CONF=. . . for buildworld does not override/avoid use of /etc/src.conf : Intentional?

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 16:32:53 -0700
On 2016-Nov-4, at 9:40 AM, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 11/3/2016 5:28 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
>> I just had a case of "odd" command text in a buildworld that was based on (in part) env SRC_ENV_CONF=. . .
>>
>> env __MAKE_CONF=. . . does not get the kind of behavior reported below for /etc/src.conf .
>>
>> Overall this means that even with an explicit env SRC_ENV_CONF=. . . one must separately prevent /etc/src.conf from contributing if the SRC_ENV_CONF file is intended to cover everything.
>
> SRC_ENV_CONF is kind of a special hack to allow setting some specific
> values that feasibly can't be set later.  Just stick to src.conf unless
> you need to set one of the options that requires src-env.conf.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bryan Drewery

Understood (now): intentional for sure. Thanks to Renato Botelho and you for
making clear that I'd read something into the description that just was not
written into the description.

For now I've adopted using an explicit env SRCCONF="/dev/null" in the scripts as
the means of avoiding an unexpected contribution and I still have env SRC_ENV_CONF=
use for picking out the file: I then do not have to worry about if I reference
any of the special values in the file referenced or not, nor about what
/etc/src-env.conf or /etc/src.conf might have in them.

I may change this at some point and follow your suggestion to just use SRCCONF=
to find the file because as time goes on it looks more like I'm unlikely to
experiment with any "special values" in the files.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net