Re: [RFC] remove GNU rcs from FreeBSD 12

From: Mark Linimon <linimon_at_lonesome.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2016 12:22:18 -0600
On Sun, Nov 06, 2016 at 12:09:30PM +0100, Eivind Nicolay Evensen wrote:
> I also thought that perl was a good example of another piece of software
> that once was provided and no longer is.

Yes, that's true, but somewhat different.

perl was removed because keeping it became incompatible with the concept
of the -stable branches.  perl development was simply moving faster than
FreeBSD major releases, leading to FreeBSD having to keep maintaining an
obsolete piece of software far past the time upstream had dropped support
for it.

Of course this is a problem with any software that FreeBSD imports, but
IIUC this may have been the most painful case.  (I was just starting to
use FreeBSD at the time, so was really just an observer.)

mcl