Re: [RFC] remove GNU rcs from FreeBSD 12

From: Eivind Nicolay Evensen <eivinde_at_terraplane.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 20:27:30 +0200
On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 03:38:04PM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> hi,
>
> For long we are planning to remove GNU rcs from base, after a failed attempt
> before FreeBSD 10.0. Let see where we are to be able to remove it from FreeBSD
> 12.

Whatever the outcome may be and for whatever my opinion is worth, I hope
rcs will stay in base. I don't care about the licensing. I don't
care if a switch to openrcs happens either, as long as it works.

For years, one has been able to rely upon this operating system having
certain pieces of software available. Losing that makes it a worse choice
than before.

I've already had to readd cvs to my freebsd tree since that was removed,
but if it keeps getting worse and worse and there's soon a
freebsd kernel and some random bits of freebsd userland available
through ports, there's not much reason to keep using it as an operating
system, because then it is not an operating system anymore, rather an
emulation of another "system" built around that concept.

Eivind N. E.