Re: Installworld fails when /usr/bin and /usr/sbin are different FS / how to use symlinks in installworld?

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_leidinger.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 08:24:49 +0200
Quoting Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_freebsd.org> (from Fri, 2 Sep 2016
15:51:56 -0700):

>> The error message is obvious, it tries to create a hardlink which is off
>> course not possible when src and dest of the link are on different FS.
>>
>> My goal of an easy procedure (installworld into target datasets) doesn't
>> work like this off course. Do we have an easy way of telling
>> installworld to create symlinks instead of hardlinks, or alternatively a
>> way to tell to copy instead of doing a hardlink if the install hits the
>> cross-device case?
>
> Maybe falling back to symlink could be done.

A copy-in-cross-fs-case would be the best solution, this way you don't
need to care about having the right path (DESTDIR comes into the game
here) specified on the comman line.

> Couldn't you just make a usr-bin dataset and have usr-bin/bin and
> usr-bin/sbin and symlink or nullfs-mount them in though?  I too go crazy
> with datasets, but this seems a bit too much.

iocage is doing read-only zfs-clones of the datasets from the basejail
location to the real jail location. I was hoping for a solution where
I don't have to hack the inner workings of iocage. Additionally "copy
in case of cross-fs case" looks like a useful feature in general.

My current (idea for a) workaround is "make -i installworld" and to
copy the which failed. This is not clean, but looks less intrusive
than introducing a new way (null-mounts) in iocage.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander_at_Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF