Re: FYI: what it takes for RAM+swap to build devel/llvm40 with 4 processors or cores and WITH__DEBUG= (powerpc64 example)

From: Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 16:15:41 +0000
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 07:26:43PM +0200, Matthew Rezny wrote:
> LLVM 3.8 introduced the option to build a shared LLVM library, which is
> what Mesa needs for use at runtime (for e.g. compiling shaders), separate
> from linking to it. Previous versions only had one option, if the library
> was built then all the LLVM binaries were staticly linked to it. [...]
>
> llvm{35,36,37} are statically linked and thus smaller than normal. llvm38
> switched to dynamic linking, the default, thus the size grew.

Hmm, I don't quite get it: shouldn't static linking actually increase the
binaries (and thus the package) size?

> I assume llvm40 will be a bit bigger, but do not expect to see another
> jump as you've observed.

As Mark Millard reports:

> I've also tried without WITH_DEBUG= and now. . .
>
> # pkg delete llvm40
> Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
> Deinstallation has been requested for the following 1 packages (of 0
> packages in the universe):
>
> Installed packages to be REMOVED:
>         llvm40-4.0.0
>
> Number of packages to be removed: 1
>
> The operation will free 1 GiB.

That 1G looks like a big jump from 259M of llvm39-3.9.1_1.txz to me.
I'm surely looking forward modularization of LLVM port; rebuilding it
every time becomes a real PITA given that X11 stack requires it. :-(

./danfe