Re: Is ipfilter firewall with ippool working?

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 12:38:03 -0700
In message <58E50379.6090406_at_gmail.com>, Ernie Luzar writes:
> I have been a ipfilter user since Freebsd 3.0 without any complaints.
> Now I'm trying to get ippool to function. I have been able to add a
> pool, but now I want to refresh it's contents. From what I read in "man
> 8 ippool", I have to remove the pool from core and then re-add it with
> the complete new content. When I issue this command to remove the named
> ippool from core, I get message saying "Segmentation fault (core
> dumped)" and the system continues as normal.
>
>     ippool -R -m unsolicited
>
> I know that in 2016 ipfilter was forked and updated to be freebsd
> friendly. Thinking maybe something in the kernel code was changed that
> now is causing this problem. I'm running release 11.0.
>
> Is there anyone out there who has ipfilter/ippool working?

Hi,

I use ipfilter (and have for a couple of decades on Solaris and FreeBSD).
We haven't forked it but we are fixing bugs and pushing them upstream.

Looking at the ippool source, this is another case of the source or man
page being incorrect. Looking at earlier versions of the source and man
pages, it appears to have been broken for almost forever. This is not the
first command line parsing issue or man page discrepancy in ipfilter.

Can you please file a PR and assign it to me? The todos will be to:

1. Determine whether the man page or the code is correct.
2. Verify that all arguments are parsed (and subsequently processes).
3. Verify that correct error messages are produced as appropriate.

For now you can issue ippool -R -m unsolicited POOL_TYPE, where pool type
is documented in the man page with -t (though that will also need to be
verified). The ippool parser thinks the pool type is a positional argument
not an option.

I'd like to verify Darren Reed's (original author's) intention before
blindly "fixing" anything.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>