PVS-Studio Analyzer Spots Bugs In the FreeBSD 2017 edition

From: Tommi Pernila <tommi.pernila_at_iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2017 00:50:31 +0300
Hi all,

just a heads up if you haven't yet seen this blog post from Andrey Karpov
from PVS-Studio.
It's a quite a long read.
https://www.viva64.com/en/b/0496/

Here's a few highlights (with some paraphrasing).

>PVS-Studio fixed errors where it's clear how to fix them without digging
deep into the algorithms.
>That's why FreeBSD authors should really do a deeper analysis themselves,
>not just review that limited number of errors that we presented.

>Andrey Karpov is ready to provide a temporary license key and also help to
eliminate false positives that may hinder their work.

Anyone up for this task?

>FreeBSD code is regularly checked by Coverity (which is now a part of
Synopsys).
>Still, it didn't prevent me from finding 56 potential vulnerabilities and
10 more real bugs in one evening by running PVS-Studio on this code.

Br,

Tommi