Re: r316677:EFI boot failure: Can't load kernel

From: Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 21:59:00 +0300
> On 10. apr 2017, at 21:04, O. Hartmann <o.hartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:
>
> Am Mon, 10 Apr 2017 16:14:21 +0300
> Toomas Soome <tsoome_at_me.com> schrieb:
>
>>> On 10. apr 2017, at 15:58, Hartmann, O. <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> After today's update to r316677, some UEFI boxes (Fujitsu Celsius M740
>>> XEON) reject to boot properly. They die immediately after
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> \
>>> can't load 'kernel'
>>>

>>> I had to investigate with an USB flashdrive the filesystem, but
>>> everything seems to be properly in place and installed.
>>>
>>> I need advice how to revive the system after this.
>>>

>> hm, this implies that r316676 was ok? If so, the only logical conclusion is that it
>> hast to do about the kernel size and if there is enough space in UEFI memory to place
>> the kernel.
>>
>> You can fetch the current memory map from loader OK prompt with memmap command, I hope
>> this will help to identify the issue.
>>
>> rgds,
>> toomas
>

> And?
>
> Regrads,
>
> oh

Well, the memory needed is starting from the:

#define KERNEL_PHYSICAL_BASE (2*1024*1024)

and it should be large enough for kernel. But it feels a bit like barking under the random tree; the problem is that the error is not telling us anything why it did happen:(

This message you get is coming from sys/boot/common/boot.c, as part of the autoload sequence; did you try to load kernel manually with load command? also if you have old kernel around, does old kernel get loaded?

rgds,
toomas