Re: csh script help

From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2017 11:43:47 -0700
Hi--

On Apr 14, 2017, at 11:32 AM, Ernie Luzar <luzar722_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> On Apr 14, 2017, at 6:47 AM, Ernie Luzar <luzar722_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>> To aid in debugging the script I'm writing, I place "echo" commands throughout so I can kind of have a trace of the logic as different conditions are processed. Normally I just delete these "echo" commands after I get the script working.
>>
>> Since you've gotten an answer to the question you asked, let me only note that both sh and csh support the -x flag, which causes the shell to echo the commands as it runs.  This is extremely helpful for debugging.
>> Regards,
>
> Where is the this -x flag coded at?  Do the executed lines roll fast off the screen or can I slowly step through the script a line at a time?
>
> Thanks for this bit of information.

You can either run the script via "/bin/sh -x myscript.sh" and similar for csh, or you can add -x to the first line of the script, commonly "#! /bin/sh" and invoke it directly via ./myscript.sh.

The lines are displayed as rapidly as the shell runs.

If running natively on FreeBSD, most people would use a terminal emulator like xterm which provides scrollback.  You could also run under nohup, which will save output to a file named nohup.out, unless you redirect output somewhere else.

Regards,
--
-Chuck