Re: kernel coding of nobody/nogroup

From: Bruce Evans <brde_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2017 22:56:20 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 21 Apr 2017, Rick Macklem wrote:

> I need to set the default uid/gid values for nobody/nogroup into kernel
> variables. I reverted the commit that hardcoded them, since I agree that
> wasn't a good thing to do.
>
> I didn't realize that "nobody" was already defined in sys/conf.h and I can
> use that.

I didn't know nobody was already there either.  They are only used by zfs,
while the others were originally only sed for devices.

> There is no definition for "nogroup" in sys/conf.h.
> Would it be ok to add
> #define GID_NOGROUP  65533
> to syy/conf.h?
> (I know bde_at_ doesn't like expressing this as 65533, but that is what it is in /etc/group.)

sys/conf.h already has GID_NOBODY but it is subtly different from
GID_NOGROUP.  It seems to be a bug that zfs uses nobody's gid instead
of the gid nogroup which is used by no body.

Bruce