Re: Add support for ACPI Module Device ACPI0004?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2017 13:36:32 -0700
On Thursday, April 20, 2017 02:29:30 AM Dexuan Cui wrote:
> [...]

Hmmm, so looking at this, the "right" thing is probably to have a device
driver for the ACPI0004 device that parses its _CRS and then allows its
child devices to sub-allocate resources from the ranges in _CRS.  However,
this would mean make VMBus be a child of the ACPI0004 device.  Suppose
we called the ACPI0004 driver 'acpi_module' then the 'acpi_module0' device
would need to create a child device for all of its child devices.  Right
now acpi0 also creates devices for them which is somewhat messy (acpi0
creates child devices anywhere in its namespace that have a valid _HID).
You can find those duplicates and remove them during acpi_module0's attach
routine before creating its own child device_t devices.  (We associate
a device_t with each Handle when creating device_t's for ACPI handles
which is how you can find the old device that is a direct child of acpi0
so that it can be removed).

Then when you are the "VMBus" device_t your parent is the ACPI0004 device
so you can easily talk to it to obtain resources (probably ACPI0004 can
just intercept bus_if.m resource methods to manage the resources).

--
John Baldwin