Re: Add support for ACPI Module Device ACPI0004?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2017 09:14:09 -0700
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 09:18:48 AM Sepherosa Ziehau wrote:
> [...]

The acpi_pci driver used to do the remove/reassociate part.  What acpi0
should probably be doing is only creating device_t nodes for immediate
children.  This would require an ACPI-aware isa0 for LPC devices below
the ISA bus in the ACPI namespace.  We haven't done that in part because
BIOS vendors are not always consistent in placing LPC devices under an
ISA bus.  However, you otherwise have no good way to find your parent
ACPI0004 device.  You could perhaps find your ACPI handle, ask for its
parent handle, then ask for the device_t of that handle to find the
ACPI0004 device, but then you'd need to have all your bus_alloc_resource
calls go to that device, not your "real" parent of acpi0, which means
you can't use any of the standard bus_alloc_resource() methods like
bus_alloc_resource_any() but would have to manually use BUS_ALLOC_RESOURCE
with the ACPI0004 device as the explicit first argument.  It is primarily
the ability to let ACPI0004's driver transparently intercept all the
resource allocation so it can manage that is the reason for "VMBus"
to be a child of ACPI0004 rather than its sibling.

--
John Baldwin