Re: DHCP/network issues

From: O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2017 01:21:55 +0200
Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 19:07:06 -0400 (EDT)
AN <andy_at_neu.net> schrieb:

> Hi OH:
>
> On Sat, 18 Mar 2017, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2017 19:11:42 +0100
> > From: O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org>
> > To: AN <andy_at_neu.net>
> > Cc: O. Hartmann <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org>
> > Subject: Re: DHCP/network issues
> >
> > Am Sat, 18 Mar 2017 10:25:58 -0400 (EDT)
> > AN <andy_at_neu.net> schrieb:
> >
> >> Hi:

> >> Thank you for the reply, I remember seeing your messages on the list about
> >> this now.  Is anyone trying to fix it, did you file a PR?
> >
> > I think, as you may already have read, some of the developers are aware of this
> > problem. I haven't file a PR so far.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > oh
> >

> Do you know if the problem with Intel Nic in 12-current has been fixed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> AN

Hello.

The problem still persists!! I have a Fujitsu Celsius M740, which uses a i217 NIC. This
NIC freezes up while under heavy I/O.
In most cases, I can get it back online by bringing it first down and then up again with
ifconfig em0 down/up. But sometimes I have to reboot. I get some strange errors on the
console about "RX/TX no buffer left" - I'm sorry to be not more specific, I'm not in the
lab at the moment where I have a more specific record of that problem. The i217 NIC
suffers from this problem after IFLIB has been introduced and I can trigger the problem
easily whily rsyncing poudriere repository packages with the NFSv4 connected package
server.

I haven't checked on igb NICs (we also use i350 based dual-port NICs as I do with some
private servers). But last time I pushed them very hard with I/O, I was able to freeze
them the same way.

I do not know whether someone is working on this, I recall having filed a PR on this, but
I was very unspecific, because I do not have further details and running CURRENT with no
DEBUG features.

As of your question: it hasn't been fixed so far.

Kind regards,

Oliver

--
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder Übermittlung meiner Daten für
Werbezwecke oder für die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (§ 28 Abs. 4 BDSG).