Re: [autofs] problems with "dirty" UFS2 partitions

From: Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 23:48:15 -0700
In message <20170808071758.6a815d59_at_freyja.zeit4.iv.bundesimmobilien.de>,
"O. H
artmann" writes:
> Hello,
>
> we're running a NanoBSD based appliance which resides on a small SoC and
> utilises a mSATA SSD for logging, database storage and mail folder. The
> operating system is recent CURRENT as it is still under development.
>
> The problem ist, that from time to time, without knowing or seeing the reason
> ,
> the automounted partitions become "dirty (UFS2 partitions, no ZFS dur to
> memory and performance limitations). Journaling is enbaled.
>
> When the partitions on the SSD become "dirty", logging or accessing them isn'
> possible anymore and for some reason I do not see any log entries reporting
> this (maybe due to the fact all logs are going also to that disk since the lo
> gs
> would pollute the serial console/console and the console is used for
> maintenance purposes/ssh terminal).
>
> Is it possible to - automated! - check the filesystem on bootup? As on ordina
> ry
> FreeBSD systems with fstab-based filesystems, this happens due to the
> rc-init-infrastructure but autofs filesystems seem to be somehow standing asi
> de
> from this procedure.

I'd be interested in finding out if your system either panicked or simply
failed to unmount the filesystems in question during a boot or shutdown. Is
the SSD being removed prior to FreeBSD having the chance to unmount it? I
think if we answer These questions we're more than half way there.

Warner has a good suggestion worth considering.

Another option might be to use amd program maps. The program map being a
program or script that would run fsck prior to issuing a mount. Having said
that, this treats the symptom rather than addressing the cause. It's
preferred to discover the cause so that autofs (or amd) can mount a clean
filesystem.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_cschubert.com>