Re: Strange behavior about pattern matching on manual pages [FIXED]

From: Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 15:53:44 -0700
On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie_at_catflap.org>
wrote:

> Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > How about just setting MANPAGER=less in your environment?
>
> Because some of us prefer "more"?
>
> And as I said, it's related to searching using the more(1) command
> generally.
>
> I was under the impression that fixing bugs in existing commands was a
> better
> solution than telling someone to simply use something else.

Yes, it certainly is.  Are you sure this is actually a bug in less, or is
it just weird-but-intended behavior when less is emulating some old version
of more?  It would be worth comparing our less sources to upstream's to see
what differences have crept in, and svn blaming them to see why.

-Alan