Re: don't know how to load module '/boot/loader'

From: Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 15:30:13 -0700
On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 3:19 PM, Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 3:03 PM, Alan Somers <asomers_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I just upgraded my head machine to r326772.  Now, boot2 can't find the
>>> loader.  Instead, it tries to boot the kernel directly, which fails
>>> because
>>> the ZFS module isn't loaded.  If I break into boot2 and type "boot
>>> /boot/loader" I get the error "don't know how to load module
>>> '/boot/loader'".  I last updated on 30-Nov, so this bug must've been
>>> introduced since then.  Any ideas?
>>>
>>> BTW, I can successfully boot with the following commands:
>>> unload
>>> load /boot/kernel/kernel
>>> load zfs
>>> boot
>>>
>>> http://bayimg.com/iAKmFaAgl
>>

>> I'd bisect :)
>>
>> However, try to update to just before this commit:
>>
>> Author: imp <imp_at_ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f>
>> Date:   Fri Dec 8 19:57:16 2017 +0000
>>
>>     Create interp class.
>>
>>     Create an interp class. Use it to separate out the different types of
>>     interpreters: forth and simple with function pointers rather than
>>     via #ifdefs.
>>
>>     Obtained from: lua boot loader project
>>         (via https://bsdimp_at_github.com/bsdimp/freebsd.git lua-bootloader)
>>     Sponsored by: Netflix
>>

>>     git-svn-id: svn+ssh://svn.freebsd.org/base/head_at_326712
>> ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
>>
>> would be a good place to start.
>>
>> It's a shame we can't create zpool images with an unpriv'd user command.
>> Would help out the ZFS testing of the boot loader refinement.
>>
>> Warner
>>

> If I bisect this, what parts do I need to reinstall each time?  A full
> buildworld would be too slow.  Is it sufficient to reinstall stand?

Just rebuild stand, reinstall it and reboot.

Also, why are you trying to load /boot/loader from /boot/zfsloader? That
has me confused. The screen shot looks like it found the kernel OK and was
going to boot it, but then you interrupted it, unloaded it and tried to
load /boot/loader. Shouldn't that be /boot/kernel or /boot/kernel.old or
something like that?

OK is /boot/loader's prompt (boot2 has no such prompt).... maybe the real
bug here is that the menu has stopped working leading to your confusion...

Warner