Re: kernel names

From: Allan Jude <allanjude_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 00:51:54 -0500
On 12/14/2017 00:47, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> When you boot into FreeBSD and you can select kernels, there's only 2
> default and kernel.old
>
> Is there a way to have better output and support multiple kernels without
> having to login to the system and running uname -v or something like that?
>
> Would it be possible to add options for more kernels from that boot menu?

The list is controlled by the /boot/loader.conf variable kernels=
which defaults to "kernel kernel.old"

I have a patch almost ready to land that will search all subdirectories
of /boot for a file named 'kernel' and add the names of those
directories to the list, such that the list will basically be autogenerated.

It currently contains too much copy/pasted code, and I just need to
clean it up a bit: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D11886

It was originally designed as part of my contributions towards packaged
base, where pkg will keep the last N (default to 5 I think) kernel
packages you have installed around, incase an upgrade goes bad.

This feature will work on any filesystem supported by the loader.

--
Allan Jude