Re: SMART: disk problems on RAIDZ1 pool: (ada6:ahcich6:0:0:0): CAMstatus: ATA Status Error

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:05:20 +0100
On 13/12/2017 17:47, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 14:58:28 -0800
>> Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert_at_komquats.com> wrote:
>> I think people responding to my thread made it clear that the WD Green
>> isn't the first-choice-solution for a 20/6 (not 24/7) duty drive and
>> the fact, that they have serviced now more than 25000 hours, it would
>> be wise to replace them with alternatives.
>
> I think someone had an apm command that turns off the head park,
> that would do wonders for drive life.   On the other hand, I think
> if it was my data and I saw that the drive had 2M head load cycles
> I would be looking to get out of that driv with any data I could
> not easily replace.  If it was well backed up or easily replaced
> my worries would be less.

WD made their first series of Green disks green by aggressively turning
them into sleep state. Like when few secs there was nog activity they
would park the head, spin it down, and sleep the disk...
Access would need to undo the whole series of command.

This could be reset by writing in one of the disks registers. I remember
doing that for my 1,5G WDs (WD15EADS from 2009). That saved a lot of
startups. I still have 'm around, but only use them for things that are
not valuable at all. Some have died over time, but about half of them
still seem to work without much trouble.

WD used to have a .exe program to actually do this. But that did not
work on later disks. And turning things of on those disks was
impossible/a lot more complex.

This type of disk worked quite a long time in my ZFS setup. Like a few
years, but I turned parking of as soon as there was a lot of turmoil
about this in the community.
Now I using WD reds for small ZFS systems, and WD red Pro for large
private storage servers. Professional server get HGST He disks, a bit
more expensive, but very little fallout.

--WjW