Re: kernel names

From: bob prohaska <fbsd_at_www.zefox.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 09:17:36 -0800
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 01:47:13PM +0800, blubee blubeeme wrote:
> When you boot into FreeBSD and you can select kernels, there's only 2
> default and kernel.old
>
> Is there a way to have better output and support multiple kernels without
> having to login to the system and running uname -v or something like that?
>
> Would it be possible to add options for more kernels from that boot menu?

Unless I've been fooling myself, it's possible now. Just stop the boot
loader during loading by hitting the spacebar and type
boot kernelname
at the loader prompt
This requires that you have saved the /boot/kernelname subdirectory
beforehand, for example
cp -r /boot/kernel.old /boot/kernel.spare
and, on an RPI2, that you have serial console access.

It would be very convenient if this were possible on the video
console, I gather it's a non-trivial modification. I'm unclear
on the situation with other architectures.

hth,

bob prohaska