Re: UEFI booting survey

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 14:12:19 -0800
Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com wrote on
Mon Dec 18 20:29:45 UTC 2017 :

> The specific thing we will stop doing is that in the absence of
> instructions to the contrary, we will no longer search for root on a device
> other than the one the loader.efi came from.

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com wrote on
Sun Dec 17 19:52:07 UTC 2017 :

> In the coming months, we're looking at dropping boot1.efi and instead
> installing /boot/loader.efi onto the ESP (most likely as
> \efi\freebsd\loader.efi).

Combining the two statements would appear to have consequences
not obvious from the separate statements in isolation. Rewording
the first to substitute where loader.efi comes from based on
the second (if I interpret right):

MISQUOTE
The specific thing we will stop doing is that in the absence of
instructions to the contrary, we will no longer search for root
on other than the device for the ESP used (which will hold
loader.efi).
END MISQUOTE

===
Mark Millard