Re: SMART: disk problems on RAIDZ1 pool: (ada6:ahcich6:0:0:0): CAMstatus: ATA Status Error

From: Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 21:34:10 +0100
On 23/12/2017 12:25, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Am Thu, 14 Dec 2017 12:05:20 +0100
> Willem Jan Withagen <wjw_at_digiware.nl> schrieb:

>>> I think someone had an apm command that turns off the head park,
>>> that would do wonders for drive life.   On the other hand, I think
>>> if it was my data and I saw that the drive had 2M head load cycles
>>> I would be looking to get out of that driv with any data I could
>>> not easily replace.  If it was well backed up or easily replaced
>>> my worries would be less.
>>
>> WD made their first series of Green disks green by aggressively turning
>> them into sleep state. Like when few secs there was nog activity they
>> would park the head, spin it down, and sleep the disk...
>> Access would need to undo the whole series of command.
>>
>> This could be reset by writing in one of the disks registers. I remember
>> doing that for my 1,5G WDs (WD15EADS from 2009). That saved a lot of
>> startups. I still have 'm around, but only use them for things that are
>> not valuable at all. Some have died over time, but about half of them
>> still seem to work without much trouble.
>>
>> WD used to have a .exe program to actually do this. But that did not
>> work on later disks. And turning things of on those disks was
>> impossible/a lot more complex.
>>
>> This type of disk worked quite a long time in my ZFS setup. Like a few
>> years, but I turned parking of as soon as there was a lot of turmoil
>> about this in the community.
>> Now I using WD reds for small ZFS systems, and WD red Pro for large
>> private storage servers. Professional server get HGST He disks, a bit
>> more expensive, but very little fallout.
>>
>> --WjW
>
> Hello fellows.
>
> First of all, I managed it over the past week+ to replace all(!) drives with new ones. I
> decided to use this time HGST 4TB Deskstar NAS (HGST HDN726040ALE614) instead of WD RED
> 4TB (WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N0). The one WD RED is about to be replaced in the next days.
>
> Apart from the very long resilvering time (the first drive, the Western Digital WD RED
> 4TB with 64MB cache and 5400 rpm) took 11 h, all HGST drives, although considered faster
> (7200 rpm, 128 MB cache) took 15 - 16 h), everything ran smoothly - except, as mentioned,
> the exorbitant times of recovery.
>
> A very interesting point in this story is: as you could see, the WD Caviar Green 3TB
> drives suffered from a high "193 Load_Cycle_Count" - almost 85 per hour. When replacing
> the drives, I figured out, that one of the four drives was already a Western Digital RED
> 3TB NAS drive, but investigating its  "193 Load_Cycle_Count" revealed, that this drive
> also had a unusual high reload count - see "smartctl -x" output attached. It seems, as
> you already stated, that the APM feature responsible for this isn't available. The drive
> has been purchased Q4/2013.
>
> The HGST drives are very(!) noisy, th ehead movement induces a notable ringing, while the
> [...]

Oliver,

I would think there is something really off at your end...

I have the same type of disks as your RED 3T, and it gives 10
load-cycle_counts in 38258 hours and 28 off-on cycles....
Different model, but same firmware.

--WjW

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Red
Device Model:     WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0
Serial Number:    WD-WMC1T4089783
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 6ae226f02
Firmware Version: 80.00A80
User Capacity:    3,000,592,982,016 bytes [3.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   ACS-2 (minor revision not indicated)
SATA Version is:  SATA 3.0, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
Local Time is:    Wed Dec 27 21:25:23 2017 CET
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x00) Offline data collection activity
                                         was never started.
                                         Auto Offline Data Collection:
Disabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine
completed
                                         without error or no self-test
has ever
                                         been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:                (38940) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:                    (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                         Auto Offline data collection
on/off support.
                                         Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                         command.
                                         Offline surface scan supported.
                                         Self-test supported.
                                         Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                         Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                         power-saving mode.
                                         Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                         General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:        ( 391) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:        (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities:              (0x70bd) SCT Status supported.
                                         SCT Error Recovery Control
supported.
                                         SCT Feature Control supported.
                                         SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
   1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
   3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   186   178   021    Pre-fail
Always       -       5675
   4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       28
   5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail
Always       -       0
   7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   200   200   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
   9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   048   048   000    Old_age
Always       -       38258
  10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
  11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   253   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
  12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       28
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
       -       17
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
       -       10
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   119   110   000    Old_age   Always
       -       31
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   100   253   000    Old_age
Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always
       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   100   253   000    Old_age
Offline      -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged