Re: Laptop very sluggish diring smoke-test _at_r314036

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 08:07:11 -0800
On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 03:45:36PM +0100, Mateusz Guzik wrote:
> > stable/11 -- I had been waiting for it to finish the reboot for
> > around 5 minutes, watching:  "Syncing disks, vnodes remaining ..."
> > when the thought of noting the amount of elapsed time between reports
> > of the numbers of remaining vnodes occurred to me: it was about 10
> > seconds each.
> >
> > Normally, it's closer to 2 seconds, if that, IIRC.
> >
> > In any case, overall behavior seemed fairly consistent with that
> > magnitude of a slowdown overall.
> >

> Can you check if the problem IS NOT present on r313995 but IS present on
> r313996? Only rebuilding the kernel + modules is necessary.
>
> If the problem was not introduced by r313996 I'm afraid you will have to
> bisect.
>
> --
> Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik gmail.com>

Well....  I "cloned" my head slice (4) to slice 3, updating source on
slice 3 to r313995, rebooted to slice 3... and noticed that it didn't
seem slugglish at all (unlike the earlier "smoke-test").

So before I did anything else, I rebooted it... and the countdown after
"Syncing disks, vnodes remaining..." was about 1 second each.....

So I'm not sure what happened, but it looks as if I can't (readily)
reproduce the symptom.  I'll try experimenting a bit more as time
permits today (but I actually use the laptop in my day-to-day work, so
that may prove challenging).

Sorry for the noise.

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
How could one possibly "respect" a misogynist, racist, bullying con-man??!?