Re: Does someone keep track of how long it takes to buildworld/kernel?

From: Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya) <"Ngie>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 14:48:45 -0800
> On Jan 13, 2017, at 12:23, Eric Joyner <erj_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> ^ Message ^
>
> It takes forever, but I keep on forgetting to time how long it takes, so I
> don't know how long "forever" is.

Using -DNO_CLEAN on my 12.0-CURRENT / amd64 / 3GB RAM / 3 cores / VMware Fusion + open-vmtools VM…
- … buildworld with special baked WITHOUT/MK options in src.conf: 26 mins
- …. buildkernel of GENERIC/GENERIC-NODEBUG with stripped src.conf and MODULES_OVERRIDE: 14 minutes

Overall time: 40 minutes

Granted, I’m pretty up-to-date (just upgrading a few hundred revs at a time), but a from-scratch build on more ample Sandybridge/Haswell hardware with SSDs shouldn’t take any longer than 30 mins (if you optimize things heavily, it can be less than that).

If you need a beefy box to play with for building en masse (since you’re a FreeBSD dev), try the universe*.freebsd.org boxes.

Cheers,
-Ngie