Re: ISO image: where is the CLANG compiler?

From: Andreas Nilsson <andrnils_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 20:50:34 +0100
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:10 PM, Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:16:46AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 06:58:16 +0100
> > Matthias Apitz <guru_at_unixarea.de> wrote:

> some disk
> system

> except

> compiler. And
> contain
> > >
> > > Yes, you will need it and it will complain about missing it, if for
> > > example you moved 'obj and 'src' to other dirs after 'make build...'
> > >
> > > But, in your case the mem image really is lacking the cc/clang; I
> > > fetched the image an did:
> > >

> > > # mdconfig -a -t vnode -u 1 -f
> > > ~guru/Downloads/FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img # mount -o
> > > ro /dev/md1p3 /mnt # find /mnt -name clang
> > > /mnt/usr/share/doc/llvm/clang
> > > /mnt/usr/lib/clang
> > > /mnt/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/clang
> > > # find /mnt -name cc
> > > /mnt/usr/include/netinet/cc
> > >
> > > With this img  alone, you can't compile a system :-(
> > >
> > > Setup a system from DVD and build your own image containing a complete
> > > system on an USB key; with this boot your damaged system, recompile and
> > > reinstall world and kernel. If you (O. Hartmann) need a step by step
> > > guide, I could send it to you.
> > >
> > >     matthias
> > >

> > Hello,
> >
> > thanks for your help offering! very kind.
> >
> > I've already solved the problem - not with the suggested process, but via
> > copying missing libs and files from and identical intact source. After
> that, I
> > ran make buildword/buildkernel and was able to successfully install the
> new
> > system.
> >
> > As I stated before: I already had a complete compiled world and kernel
> existing
> > in their proper, intact folders (usr/src and usr/obj). There was no need
> > compile a whole world.
> > Intending to "make installworld" failed, this is the real problem,
> because the
> > ISO/memstick images provided lack obviously in the required
> infrastructure and
> > so these images are worthless for sophisticated rescue operations - or
> even
> > such a simple ask as described initially in my posting.
> >
> > I created images on CURRENT of my own - they all lack in the ability of
> having
> > the necessary tools aboard. So I consider every image useless for rescue
> > operations except, maybe, the DVD image - but this one is not provided
> anymore.
> > For what reason? Time? Accepted. Space/disk usage? Well, welcome back in
> the
> > stoneage of computer technology ...
> >
> > I remember faintly that there was a small discussion on the _at_CURRENT
> list, but
> > I didn't realize that the result would be the extraction of the compiler.
> >
> > Just for the record: most servers delivered to us do not have CD/DVD
> [...]
Good to see discussion, but my 5c is: do not enlarge regular install media,
it is hefty enough. I'd rather see it shrink, although without the
limitations of old cd's rescue-env.

Install media is install media, not live image. Live usb-sticks are so easy
to do on your own, why waste the Projects storage and bandwidth on it?

Best regards
Andreas