Re: ISO image: where is the CLANG compiler?

From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk_at_mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 16:47:56 -0600
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 07:38:30PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:

> Random thought:
>
> Brought up out-of-band, can you try this from a memstick.img and your
> already-built userland/kernel to do what you had originally tried to
> install the system?
>
>  # make -C /usr/src WITHOUT_SYSTEM_COMPILER=1 DESTDIR=/wherever installworld
>
> I think this is why cc(1)/clang(1) is not being used from /usr/obj, and
> you don't have a compiler to compile the compiler.

Sorry for jumping in late, and thanks for bringing this up -- I was surprised
that we had gone so long without someone making the claim that a compiler
should not be necessary for installworld/installkernel (as was my understanding).
If indeed a compiler is necessary for those (perhaps only under certain
circumstances such as those experienced by Oliver) it would be good to understand
why.

-Ben