Re: Panic on boot after upgrade from r320827 -> r320869

From: David Wolfskill <david_at_catwhisker.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 05:13:11 -0700
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 04:51:09AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> Pnic occurred prior to mounting file systems....

While O. Hartmann had written to indicate the he had identified r320844
as the culprit, and I had other reason to suspect it, I was a bit busy
at work yesterday, and unable to determine this for myself empirically.

I went ahead and updated my "head" sources to r320884 (without
attempting to revert r320844), while running head _at_r320827.

On reboot, I (again) had a panic on the laptop that looked similar
to the one from yesterday (r320869).

On the build machine, however, I encountered the "mountroot" issue that
O. Hartmann had described.

I have again created screenshots; they may be found in
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/head/r320884/>.  For the
laptop, the last of them shows the backtrace; the one previous shows
the panic message.  For the build machine ("freebeast"), the last
shows that when I asked for a list of "valid disk boot devices,"
what was presented was an empty list.  (I found a working keyboard for
it.)

The most recent verbnose dmesg.boot from a successful boot of the
laptop (running head) may still be found at
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/history/laptop.12_dmesg.txt>.
For the build machine, it is
<http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/history/freebeast.12_dmesg.txt>.

I believe that each of the machines has an MMC slot, but I also believe
that in each case, it is empty.

Is there anything else I might be able to do to help resolve this?

Peace,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill				david_at_catwhisker.org
POTUS impeachment requires Congress buy-in.  First, fix Congress, THEN impeach.