Re: Panic on boot after upgrade from r320827 -> r320869

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2017 17:39:06 -0700
Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com wrote on Sat Jul 15 23:22:22 UTC 2017 :

> On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Michael Butler <imb at protected-networks.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On 07/11/17 19:53, Michael Butler wrote:
> >
> . . .
> >
> > Something about SVN r320844 causes almost all KDE applications to fail on
> > a signal 6.
> >

> I don't think that's possible, unless (a) your build hit the 'not
> everything in the kernel rebuilt' bug or (b) KDE is issuing raw CAM
> requests. Since I don't know KDE, don't run KDE or have any clue about KDE,
> I can't help you trace it down further.

FYI for Michael B.: the incomplete kernel rebuild problem has a fix: -r320919 .
See the fix (to the building problem that was created in -r320220 ):

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/svn-src-head/2017-July/102622.html

If the KDE problem persists based on a -r320919 or later build, it would
be appropriate to report it again as a separate issue.

Unfortunately various odd problems have shown up over -r320220 through
-r320918 from incorrect rebuilds (and other oddities overlapping in the
time frame).

Of course if you built (or build) -r320844 based on a empty directory in
the first place so that it was a full-build but the KDE problem persisted
when using the rebuilt kernel then the above material does not apply. In
such a case reporting that about the context for the KDE problem would be
appropriate.

You may well have other things to be doing instead of what the above
suggests. If so, just take the above as background information.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net