Re: HEADS-UP: Merged llvm/clang 5.0.0 into -CURRENT (as of r321369)

From: Dimitry Andric <dim_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 22:32:53 +0200
On 22 Jul 2017, at 19:38, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb_at_hardenedbsd.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 01:32:17PM -0400, Shawn Webb wrote:

>>> Hey Dimitry,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication to bringing the
>>> llvm toolchain to FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> I haven't nailed down whether it's SafeStack, CFI, or using lld as the
>>> default linker, but it looks like we in HardenedBSD are getting an
>>> undefined symbol during buildworld.
>>>
>>> Here's the logfile:
>>>
>>> http://jenkins.hardenedbsd.org:8180/jenkins/job/HardenedBSD-CURRENT-amd64/910/consoleText
>>>
>>> I'm working right now on figuring out what caused it. I'll report back
>>> when I know more.
>>
>> Found the culprit: WITH_LLD_BOOTSTRAP. It looks like when
>> MK_LLD_BOOTSTRAP is set to yes, then you get the error in the Jenkins
>> log above. At least, on amd64. I do _not_ get the error on arm64.
>
> I forgot to mention that WITH_LLD_IS_LD is set, too. I haven't tested
> WITH_LLD_BOOTSTRAP && WITHOUT_LLD_IS_LD.

Hi Shawn,

I've tried reproducing, using WITH_LLD_BOOTSTRAP and WITH_LLD_IS_LD, but
buildworld finishes without issues for me.  This is with explicit
__MAKE_CONF=/dev/null and SRCCONF=/dev/null environment variables, so
everything else is at its defaults.

Do you have any other particular settings, like modified default CFLAGS
or LDFLAGS, either in your share/mk/*.mk files, or somewhere else?

-Dimitry