Re: HEADS-UP: Merged llvm/clang 5.0.0 into -CURRENT (as of r321369)

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2017 20:14:10 -0700
On 2017-Jul-23, at 7:44 PM, Shawn Webb <shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 09:16:26PM -0400, Shawn Webb wrote:

>>> Hey Mark,
>>>
>>> I wasn't doing a cross-build, but rather a native build for amd64. I'm
>>> getting errors again. In fact, I'm getting the same error you just
>>> posted above. I have no clue why the error's happening. That you're
>>> also getting the error shows that the issue isn't specific to
>>> HardenedBSD at the very least.
>>
>> I've figured out how to fully reproduce. The following assumes world
>> still is at clang/llvm 4.0. The following also assumes the source tree
>> is at /usr/src and is latest FreeBSD HEAD. And MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX is unset
>> or left as default. Native build on amd64.
>>
>> 1. Set ld.lld as the linker:
>>   a. rm /usr/bin/ld
>>   b. ln -s ld.lld /usr/bin/ld
>>   c. Verify: `ld -version` should show:
>>      LLD 4.0.0 (FreeBSD 297347) (compatible with GNU linkers)
>> 2. Ensure the object tree is clean:
>>   a. rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src
>> 3. Build world:
>>   a. make -sj$(sysctl -n hw.ncpu) buildworld
>> 4. Relax, grab a drink, eat some Skittles
>> 5. Come back to buildworld failing to link lldb.full in
>>   usr.bin/clang/lldb
>
> Found the regression: It looks like lldb 5.0.0 doesn't support being
> compiled with SafeStack. I'll report this upstream to llvm.

[These notes only apply to the undefined symbol for

lldb_private::AppleObjCRuntime::GetFoundationVersion()
.]

Such a regerssion may be true as far as it goes but likely
can not be all there is too it since (using the powerpc64
example):

I did nothing that I know of to involve anything called
SafeStack in my FreeBSD context (not HardenedBSD).

So far as I know the gcc based devel/powerpc64-binutils
variant of ld does not support -fsanitize=safe-stack but
all the binutils were from the devel/powerpc64-binutils
port.

This makes it unlikely that -fsanitize=safe-stack would
be supplied to any compile or link command in my context.

For my context sanitize=safe-stack is not found by:

grep sanitize=safe-stack /usr/src/Makefile* /usr/src/share/mk/*

Nor does it occur in the typescript for my failing build
or any other build. It was not in the cc+ command that ran the
linker instance that produced the message that I got.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net