Re: old syslog (jail) and new kernel = 100% CPU

From: Ngie Cooper (yaneurabeya) <"Ngie>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2017 08:53:50 -0700
> On Jun 5, 2017, at 08:20, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> On 6/5/2017 2:34 AM, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>
>> Quoting Bryan Drewery <bryan_at_shatow.net> (from Sun, 4 Jun 2017 14:38:07
>> -0700):

>>> What branch and revision is the syslogd? From my understanding the bug
>>> exists in a head version of syslogd only, maybe MFC'd to stable/11, but
>>> not released.  If it was MFC'd we need to fix it before the 11.1 release.
>>
>> This was a syslogd from head for sure.
>>
>> So the issue was that for an intermediate period of time a bug was in
>> syslogd in head which was causing this, and if I would have upgraded a
>> system were the jail would have been head from before the or after the
>> bug, then I wouldn't have noticed it?
>>

> Yes, that's my understanding.  So it's ultimately a non-issue for
> releases since it is just a temporary issue on head.

Yes. syslogd was refactored on ^/head. Some of the refactoring caused the issue Alexander brought up. The changes were never backported though, so the concern you had in the previous message isn’t something to be worried about, since the code hasn’t seen the changes the ^/head copy has.
Cheers!
-Ngie