Re: Failover Mode Between Ethernet and Wireless Interfaces broken on >= 11

From: Renato Botelho <garga_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 16:04:36 -0300
On 21/06/17 14:56, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 06/21/17 19:48, Renato Botelho wrote:
>> I've already sent it to net, but I suspect this is the appropriate place
>> to discuss this subject.
> [...]
>>
>> My next attempt was to do the other way round and make lagg to use wlan0
>> mac address instead of em0's. but even doing this my wireless interface
>> ended up not working.
>
> Strange enough, this works for me. My laptop has a bge interface. Maybe
> that's relevant.
>
> [...]
>>
>> And configured it to use wlan0 mac address on rc.conf:
>>
>> ifconfig_em0="ether 60:67:20:c5:2d:48 up"
>> wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
>> ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
>> cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
>> ifconfig_lagg0="up laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"
>>
>> and it's now working as expected.
>
> I can confirm this is exactly what I've been doing for a while on my
> laptop. As noted before I did not need to patch the kernel to have this
> working.

Maybe bge is not affected by this bug, interesting. It would be good to
know which models are affected

>> Other than that, I believe if wlan interfaces cannot have their mac
>> address changed, ifconfig should return an error when user attempts to
>> do it, and if_setlladdr() should do the same.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I agree returning some error code would be nicer on users.

In this case since some drivers are OK and others not, we cannot remove
the possibility of changing mac address from ifconfig for all wlan
interfaces.

I'm wondering if there is any side-effect to have only the change I made
applied, not sure if there are reasons to run filters and event_handler
when if_setlladdr() is called with the same address that is current set
on NIC.
--
Renato Botelho