Re: Current amd64 new error or warning from today's current with ruby r320323

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:41:15 +0300
On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 08:21:33AM -0700, Manfred Antar wrote:

> > On Jun 25, 2017, at 7:50 AM, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 07:43:25AM -0700, Manfred Antar wrote:
> >> maybe message got reformatted in mail program (mac mail).
> >> could you send me a tar file of the patch?
> >> also not sure if ???patch -p1 <patchfile??? is the correct invocation of patch
> >>
> >> you could cc root_at_pozo.com <mailto:root_at_pozo.com> , that way i have copy on freebsd box and on mac.
> >
> > https://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/vm2.1.patch <https://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/vm2.1.patch>
>
> OK patched and built new kernel \
> rebooted,
> same ruby message. So it must be a ruby thing.
> new kdump.txt at http://www.pozo.com/kernel/kdump.txt <http://www.pozo.com/kernel/kdump.txt>
>
> also i???ll put a copy of my kernel config in same directory:
>
> http://www.pozo.com/kernel/pozo <http://www.pozo.com/kernel/pozo>
>
> only one module is being loaded at boot:
> (kernel)4908}kldstat
> Id Refs Address            Size     Name
>  1    5 0xffffffff80200000 10380a8  kernel
>  2    1 0xffffffff8123a000 e13f50   nvidia.ko
>
> I can disable nvidia if it helps as I really only access this machine over the net or serial console.

No need, I understood why MAP_STACK failed in this case, thanks to the
ktrace log. This is indeed something ruby-specific, or rather, triggered
by ruby special use of libthr. It is not related to the main stack
split.

It seems that ruby requested very small stack for a new thread, only 5
pages in size.  This size caused the stack gap to be correctly calculated
as having zero size, because the whole stack is allocated by initial grow.
But then there is no space for the guard page, which caused mapping failure
for it, and overall stack mapping failure.

Try this.
https://people.freebsd.org/~kib/misc/vm2.2.patch