Re: Skylake/Kabylake Intel Bug?

From: Pete Wright <pete_at_nomadlogic.org>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 18:22:04 -0700
On 06/25/2017 14:53, A. Wilcox wrote:
> On 25/06/17 12:56, Pete Wright wrote:
>> Came across this post today via HN regarding a issue with Hyperthreading
>> causing unpredictable behavior on these CPU's
>>
>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2017/06/msg00308.html
>>
>> I really wish there was more info on this in the email, for example
>> examples of programs being effected by this bug.  Anywho - was wondering
>> if any devs here had more info on this issue and could provide better
>> context?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -pete
>>
> The linked OCaml issue goes quite in-depth with the mechanisms behind
> this bug and the risks behind not patching the microcode:
>
> https://caml.inria.fr/mantis/view.php?id=7452
>

> Basically, if a HyperThreaded core is running a tight loop accessing
> %rax and %ah (or %rbx and %bh, etc) in quick succession, on both threads
> of the same physical core, it can corrupt/poison L1d cache.
>
> AIUI, OCaml manages to generate this code by manipulating tagged memory
> addresses and the corresponding tag (the address is in %rax, and the tag
> is at %ah).
>
> I'd really love to see if this affects write-through-no-allocate cache
> or only write-behind, but I haven't seen any program besides OCaml
> actually manage to get GCC to generate the insn pattern that is needed,
> and I don't have a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU to test with anyway.
>

> Fun little hardware bug.
>

> Hope this helps you,
> --arw

Thanks this is really helpful!  From the dire warning of the debian
thread I was worried this was a very easy to run into runtime issue.
Certainly sounds pretty darn serious, but having context at least gives
me something to keep any eye out for as a syadmin - this def seems like
a potentially interesting attack surface (as most CPU bugs tend to be) :)

i've got a couple effected CPUs that i use for dev purposes - might see
if i can reproduce on my end just for shits and giggles.

-p

--
Pete Wright
pete_at_nomadlogic.org