Re: CURRENT: massive em0 NIC problems since IFLIB changes/introduction

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_leidinger.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 14:15:01 +0100
Quoting "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann_at_walstatt.org> (from Fri, 17 Mar 2017
12:20:18 +0100):

> Since the introduction of the IFLIB changes, I realise severe problems on
> CURRENT.

I already reported something like this to sbruno_at_ and M. Macy (in copy).

> Running the most recent CURRENT (FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #27 r315442: Fri Mar 17
> 10:46:04 CET 2017  amd64), the problems on a workstation got severe
> within the
> past two days:
>
> since a couple of weeks the em0 NIC (Intel i217-LM, see below) dies on heavy
> I/O. I realised this first when "rsync"ing poudriere repositories to a remote
> NFSv4 (automounted) folder. The em0 device could be revived by
> ifconfig down/up
> procedure.
> But not the i217-LM chip is affected. On another box equipted with a
> i350 dual
> port GBit NIC I observed a similar behaviour under (artificially)
> high I/O load
> (but I didn't investigate that further since it occured very seldom).

It's not only those chipsets.

It may be beneficial if you could provide the pciconf output for those
devices. Mine is:
---snip---
em0_at_pci0:2:6:0: class=0x020000 card=0x13768086 chip=0x107c8086
rev=0x05 hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = '82541PI Gigabit Ethernet Controller'
---snip---

> Now, since around yesterday, the i217-LM dies without being reviveable with
> ifconfig down/up: Doing so, my FreeBSD CURRENT machine (Fujitsu Celsius M740)

I don't know if for the chip I see this issue with a simple down/up
would help (it's a headless server in a remote datacenter). For the
moment I'm using the workaround of something like "ping -C 1 <gateway>
|| shutdown -r now" in crontab.

The system in question is at r314137.

> remains with a dead em0 device, reporting "no route" in some occasions but
> stuck in the dead state. Every attempt to establish manually the route again
> fails, only rebooting the box gives some relief.
>
> On the console, I have some very strange reports:
>
> - ping reports suddenly about no buffer space
> - or I see sometimes massive occurences of "em0: TX(0) desc avail =
> 1024, pidx
>   = 0" on the console

I don't see this in messages or console log, but I see that ntpd can't
resolve hostnames in the logs.

> Either way, sending/receiving large files on an established network GBit line
> which could be saturated by approx 100 MBytes/s tend to make the NIC fail.

I can report that the "svnlite update" on the box of of the FreeBSD
src tree is able to trigger the issue in my case.

I have to add that before the iflib changes I've seen frequent
em-watchdog timeouts in the logs / dmesg. So for me we have two issues
here:
  - the hardware wasn't 100% supported before the iflib changes (it seems)
  - the iflib changes have lost some watchdog functionality /
auto-failure-recovery feature

Bye,
Alexander.

--