Re: process killed: text file modification

From: Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:19:17 +0200
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 01:53:46PM +0000, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Well, I don't mind adding ncl_flush(), but it shouldn't be
> necessary. I actually had it in the first
> rendition of the patch, but took it out because it should happen
> on the VOP_CLOSE() if any writing to the buffer cache happened
> and that code hasn't changed in many years.
Dirty pages are flushed by writes, so if we have a set of dirty pages and
async vm_object_page_clean() is called on the vnode' vm_object, we get
a bunch of delayed-write AKA dirty buffers.  This is possible even after
VOP_CLOSE() was done, e.g. by syncer performing regular run involving
vfs_msync().

I agree that the patch would not create new dirty buffers, but it is possible
to get them by other means.