Re: NFSv2 boot & OLD_NFSV2

From: Rick Macklem <rmacklem_at_uoguelph.ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 21:53:35 +0000
Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 08:22:12PM +0200, Toomas Soome wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > The current boot code is building NFSv3, with preprocessor conditional OLD_NFSV2. Should NFSv2 code still be kept around or can we burn it?
> >
> > rgds,
> > toomas
>
> I vote burn
>
> Bapt
I would be happy to see NFSv2 go away. However, depending on how people configure
their diskless root fs, they do end up using NFSv2 for their root fs.

Does booting over NFSv3 affect this?

I think the answer is no for a FreeBSD server (since the NFSv2 File Handle is the same as
the NFSv3 one, except padded with 0 bytes to 32bytes long).
However, there might be non-FreeBSD NFS servers where the NFSv2 file handle is different
than the NFSv3 one and for that case, the user would need NFSv2 boot code (or
reconfigure their root fs to use NFSv3).

To be honest, I suspect few realize that they are using NFSv2 for their root fs.
(They'd see it in a packet trace or via "nfsstat -m", but otherwise they probably
  think they are using NFSv3 for their root fs.)

rick