Re: how to SVN regenerate [ man awk ]

From: Jamie Landeg-Jones <jamie_at_dyslexicfish.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 12:55:58 +0000
"Jeffrey Bouquet" <jbtakk_at_iherebuywisely.com> wrote:

> > If you intend to use "svn up", you should probably review, and
> > follow the instructions in, /usr/src/UPDATING.
>
> but just for one binary?  and one man page update?
> As in, it is only two files, how to update singly if does not require a buildworld...

I've no idea what is causing your current problem, but it's perfectly fine to do:

cd /usr/src/usr.bin/awk (for example)
make
make install
make clean
make cleandepends

I do this kind of thing all the time. Obvious caveats apply:

1) You are no longer tracking a "standard" installation.
2) You may create a problem with mismatched versions of things.
3) Relating to 2), some things may not compile or work as intended due
   to changes elsewhere that would need to also be applied to the system.

But other than that, things should work (to use your example, awk should work fine)

Are you doing the 'make install' rather than installing manually?

cheers, Jamie