Re: FYI: what it takes for RAM+swap to build devel/llvm40 with 4 processors or cores and WITH__DEBUG= (powerpc64 example)

From: Mark Millard <markmi_at_dsl-only.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:54:17 -0700
On 2017-Mar-30, at 10:55 AM, Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> wrote:

> P.S. Somewhat off topice, but related.  FAIR WARNING: the days of
> self-hosted 32-bit systems are numbered.  Switching to lld from our
> ancient BFD linker will probably buy us some time, but I'd be surprised
> if you will be able to build LLVM+CLANG with a 2GB address space in 5
> years.  The sooner people make their peace with this, the better.

Yep.

It fights with time preferences as well: when I tried
building gcc6 "full bootstrap" via poudriere cross-
builds on amd64 (4 cores/threads used) and native on a
bpim3 (-mcpu=cortex-a7 with 4 cores supported by FreeBSD
and 2GB if RAM) the native build was much faster as I
remember. Of course once the cross build was using the
gcc6 internal bootstrap compiler not much was running
native cross-toolchain materials. (Building that internal
bootstrap compiler did have a native-clang cross-compiler
involved.)

[I do not have access to server-class thread counts or
RAM either. And the non-multithread stages contribute
even in those contexts as well.]

So I'm not looking forward to the issue from that
point of view.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net