Re: Recent FreeBSD, NFSv4 and /var/db/mounttab

From: Claude Buisson <clbuisson_at_orange.fr>
Date: Sun, 7 May 2017 23:50:24 +0200
On 05/07/2017 21:09, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Claude Buisson wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last month, I started switching all my systems (stable/9, stable/10,
>> stable/11 and current) to NFSv4, and I found that:
>>
>>   on current (svn 312652) an entry is added to /var/db/mounttab by
>> mount_nfs(8), but not suppressed by umount(8). It can be suppressed by
>> rpc.umntall(8).
>>
>> The same anomaly appears on stable/11 after upgrading to svn 312950.
>>
>> It is relatively easy to trace this anomaly to r308871 on current and
>> its MFHs (r309517 for stable/11).
>>
>> Patching sbin/umount/umount.c to restore the RPC call for NFSv4 makes
>> umount(8) suppress the mounttab entry as before.
>>
>> I do not know what is the proper solution, as suppressing the
>> modification of mounttab by mount_nfs(8) for NFSv4 could be an (more
>> complicated) alternative !
> When I do an NFSv4 mount from a recent FreeBSD system, it does not use the
> Mount protocol. I am not sure why your NFSv4 mounts are putting an entry in
> mounttab, since that is done by mountd.c on the server and the client isn't even
> contacting it?

This is really an long delayed answer !!

1) I am afraid of a confusion on your side between mounttab which is
managed on the CLIENT, and mountdtab which is managed of the SERVER.

2) Since my first mail, I patched mount_nfs(4) (client side) not to
write an entry in mounttab in the NFS4 case. But:

3) I no more use NFS4 and have switched back to NFS3, sa as to have on
the servers a trace of the current active clients by virtue of the mount
protocol :-)

> rick

Thanks for your interest

Claude Buisson