Re: make release: how utilise filemon?

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 12:56:28 -0700
On 5/10/17 1:12 AM, O. Hartmann wrote:
> hello,
>
> building a release of most recent 12-CURRENT seems to be at some point very
> annoying. When building the main host's system out of /usr/src
> using /etc/src-env.conf set with WITH_META_MODE=yes, build time decreases
> significantly. Now I perform some tasks building release. The source tree is
> 11-STABLE.
>
> In release.conf, I tried setting
>
> ## Set to use world- and kernel-specific make(1) flags.
> WORLD_FLAGS="-DNO_CLEAN -j $(sysctl -n hw.ncpu)"
> KERNEL_FLAGS="-DNO_CLEAN -j $(( $(( $(sysctl -n hw.ncpu) + 1 )) / 2 ))"
>
> without any noticable effect - make release always build release fully, no
> matter wether there has been new sources checked out or not. It takes a lot of
> time compiling llvm/clang. Using 11-stable on a NanoBSD installation,
> -DNO_CLEAN seems to take effect on the very same source revision, while it
> doesn't on "make release". The target (obj-directory) is always properly set,
> the same and not deleted by a run of "make release", so I'm quite sure this
> portion of the setting is correct.
>
> release(7) does have some tags setting src.conf, but I miss src-env.conf
> settings as this can be customised in the "ordinary" /usr/src world.
>
> What am I doing or thinking wrong in this matter?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Oliver

META_MODE is only allowed in a whitelist of targets (see
META_TGT_WHITELIST in Makefile).  I wanted to avoid META MODE ever being
enabled for an 'install' target or utility target like 'check-old' or
'delete-old', etc.  META MODE has the potential to skip doing things
that are actually needed, like copying a file to /.  So I decided to
whitelist to known-safe targets.  The 'make release' target, and all of
release/, is something I've never ran and am not very familiar with, so
I didn't list it.  Thus WITH_META_MODE=yes and 'make release' has no
effect, it will build without META MODE.

In summary, support needs to be added for release/ in safe and useful ways.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery